We know that life isn’t likely to slow down any time soon, but we’ve been working with Personal Trainer Niki Loe to come up with some inspiring ideas to build play into your day. We’re on a mission to find our fun again with the goal of living our best life ever, we’d love you to join us!
Children have it all figured out…they eat when they’re hungry, stop when they’re full (or because they’re bored and you just want to go play some more). Children have an extraordinary way of creating worlds of magic where toys come to life and make-believe is real.
Energy is in abundance and stress is not even a real word yet. Jumping on the trampoline, skipping rope, running around the backyard… activities we once did tirelessly for hours on end can now have us huffing and puffing in 60 seconds or less.
As we evolve into “grown-ups”, we can accidentally become too busy, too stressed, too exhausted to remember to play. So, what can we do to reconnect with our childlike sense of wonder, our sparkles of imagination and our day to day magic?
What do you like to do to have FUN?
If you had to think about that for more than 10 seconds, it’s time to reintroduce some “play time” back in to your life.
As I believe core strength lies in the heart of optimal physical movement, I believe that happiness and play lies in the heart of living our best lives ever!
Ideas to enhance the ‘play’ in your day
– Surround yourself with fun, happy, playful people
– Play games!!! With your kids, your pets, your family, your partner!
– Go to the park: Get on the swings or go down the slide on your tummy – no matter how old you are!
– Play dress-ups with your kids or throw a fancy dress party with your favourite people – just because!
– Do a cartwheel – we dare you to see if you remember how
– Ride a bike! And not a stationary bike at the gym – a real bike. For some of us, it will have been years. Pick a sunny day and go play – you won’t believe how much fun you have!
– Go on a picnic
– Try a new cafe
– Climb a tree
– Go to the beach and jump in fully clothed – well a playful splash at least
– Go do something you would NEVER normally do– visit a theme park, feed the ducks, check out a golfing range, ride a horse – the novelty will delight you!
– Turn up the music on a week night and dance around the house in your undies (think Risky Business)
– Laugh – laugh loud! Even if you don’t feel like it – just wait and see what happens.
– Smile and say hello to everyone who crosses your path – happiness is contagious!
My #1 favourite play time activity that can be done at any time and in any place:
The happy dance! It doesn’t matter where you are – home, the office or even the supermarket! This is the perfect go-to when life is feeling overwhelming or stressful. Will people think you’re crazy? A little, but who cares! It should feel silly and childlike and make everything seem less serious (isn’t it funny that we associate super happy people with being a little crazy?)
By worrying less about what other people think, relaxing our sense of self consciousness and embracing our inner child, we can find playful freedom!
When you next engage in play, watch what happens to the energy around you – it is powerful!
Play promotes happiness, mental stimulation, increased productivity and a heightened sense of daily joy. Couldn’t we all use a little more of that?
Smile, love, nourish, move and PLAY! Ask yourself what makes you come ALIVE and then go do that.
We would love to see what brings YOU to life! Upload a pic to Facebook or Instagram and add the hashtag #findingmyfunwithvenerdi