[where the healthiest people living ailment-free over 100], eat a mostly plant-based diet, and never too much. Blue Zone populations consume food for nourishment and pleasure, and only eat until 80% full.
Foods that literally make you happy (and increase longevity) …
Rather than taking medications or nutritional supplements, Blue Zones prescribe specific foods in their whole forms as “supplements” for longevity, happiness and optimal wellness.
Here’s a great list of “happy foods”, rich in antioxidants and mood-boosting chemicals known to make us happier and combat disease.
• Coffee – an organic, good quality brew to start the day
• Dark chocolate (well, we already knew that!)
• Fermented foods like tempeh, kimchi and sauerkraut
• Sunshine! Blue Zones consider regular sunshine play to be more important than any food for the best dose of daily vitamin D! Enjoy long walks with friends, picnics in the park, regular play time and fun in the garden.
• Sweet potatoes
• Tea made from fresh, local mountain herbs – oregano, thyme, sage, mint, dandelion and wild marjoram
• Wild salmon
Venerdi’s HAPPIEST Paleo toast toppers!
• Avocadoes, cherry tomatoes and fresh herbs
• Organic baked beans on toast
• Tomatoes and avocado on toast with cracked black pepper (photo)
• Tahini, banana slices, paleo nuts and seeds crush: brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, macadamias, cashews, almonds, coconut, currants, sesame seeds, goji berries, vanilla bean
• “Dessert for breakfast”: coconut yoghurt, banana and berry slices, dark chocolate drizzled
• Coconut yoghurt, tahini, apple thins, chopped walnuts and a drizzle of honey
• smashed avocado with freshly squeezed lemon, sea salt with kelp and cracked black pepper
• Bruschetta paleo toast: fresh tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, fresh basil, salt and cracked black pepper
• Fruit salad toast – top your toast with your fave fruits in season from the above list with tahini or crunchy nut butter (another drizzle of dark chocolate if it’s the weekend – yum!)
• Roasted sweet potato bites with avocado, olive oil drizzle + turmeric, cumin, paprika, black pepper and natural sea salt.